Dear all

Excuse my long absence and the mails that were sent before they were
finished and checked. I there were quite some emails to catch up with.
:-) My absence doesn't mean at all that I lost interest in helping
organizing Wikipedia Day it's more the lack of time due to a time
consuming job. Therefore I definitly withdraw my candidature for
president and would in spite support a strong secretary like Michael who
could also act as a vice president if our real president is absent. He
does an excellent job btw.

By the way: Prof. Bertrand Meyer is willing to come on Wikipedia Day. He
proposed a speech about *Wikis and Wikipedia as tools for the scientific
community? Rationale, Risks and Reactions* I told him this was good for
us. There might be a little risk that he cannot come but he estimated
this to be like a 10% chance.

> as our Wikipedia Day will be in less than 3 months and as the
> foundation of Wikimedia CH might be a bit delayed still (ChapCom +
> board -> it might still pass some time until a definitive vote), I
> think we should definitely start the planning now.

This is perfectly true.

> However I think, that we cannot do all the planning only on this
> mailinglist. Why?

ack.

> Therefore my proposal:
> We could create some teams [which could later be task groups =
> Arbeitsgruppen of Wikimedia CH] that deal with particular things and
> have a few members (say, 5 or so) and work via private email (you can
> send a mail to 5 people...). When they have reached a decision/solved
> a problem, they can still report to mailinglist at the end.
> Proposed teams: (just jotted down, feel free to add and change):

> ==Core team== (or: coordination team/lead team/whatever)
> This would be the kind of organizing committee as known. They have the
> overview over the whole situation, are the ones who'd also finally
> sign contracts if necessary with partners, look that the budget is not
> exceeded, and so on.

Of course I'm willing to help here. I think this team should sit
together rather soon (next 14 days) and collect more ideas about what
we're gonna show and how we advertize for it, calculate a budget so that
the partners team knows what to do. In addition this would support a
team building process. My place would be available for this meeting.

> ==PR and Media team==
> quite an important team:
> a) contact to Media, sending invitations to press etc., making press
> releases, etc.
> b) organising the advertising for the Wikipedia Day (in on-and offline
> agendas, newspapers, maybe create flyers and leaflets etc.

These two points take most man-hours. We could need every hand to
distribute flyers in as many places (schools, universities, etc.) as
possible.

On the other hand it would be good to have articles in many (student)
newspapers. I will catch an eye on VSETH newspaper.

> c) looking for some kind of Internet site, if possible and time is
> there, either we start with www.wikimedia.ch already or we'd use
> www.wikipediaday.ch or whatever.

I think this could be done by the technical team.

> ==Location team==
>(...)
> chairs etc. are organised nicely and so on

I will deal with ETH Hausdienst about the opening of the location.
Chairs and normal tables are around. We just have to put them where we
need them. Food would be a different topic. We could also use "Wikipedia
Bratwürste" as a marketing idea. (I did not check the legal aspects of
this proposal yet.)

> ==Partners team==
> We have not really discussed this yet, but I think, we might still
> consider finding some sponsors (could be IT companies, but also, if
> you like better, governmental support or other
> foundations/associations/"Stiftungen" that would support us.) Because
> remember, if we want to have some nice flyers/leaflets and so on, and
> if we want catering, we might reach a point, where we'd quite like
> some money... BTW: I recently read at Chapters FAQ on Metawiki that
> Wikimedia Foundation on request also sometimes provides chapters with
> some "start-up budget", so they could also look at this with Delphine
> etc.

It would be nice if our treasury man/woman would join this team. As we
are an organisation that among other things is supposed to raise money
for the foundation it could be a wrong sign to accept some start-up
budget. We should be able to collect the first 1000-2000 Francs by
ourselves and make a first symbolic donation to the foundation. Not vice
versa :-) What do you think?

Best regards

Robin