Hoi,
When the icons are internationalised, it means that for me, I am Dutch, I
will find a *V* and a *S*. This suits me fine. When you have a character
that is appropriate for this distinction, you use it for your language.

I post regularly on every Wikipedia and I do not use the local language of
that project.

When you argue that YOU are aware / familiar with what is currently
standard, it does not follow that all the readers for your project share
this expertise.
Thanks,
      GerardM