regarding the mail below:
Sundar and I have initiated contacts with Google on coordinating their article
Google has agreed in principle for the demands below.
We hope we can update all Indian Wikis about the progress in this
collaboration, say in a month or two. Then it may be a good model for all
Indian Wikis to follow. So, it may be a good idea for all Indian Wikis to wait
during this period so Google need not have to do the same consensus evolving
approach with many wikis.
From: Ravi shankar <ravidreams...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Fri, December 25, 2009 11:30:27 AM
Subject: Coordinating Google translation kit articles
Following the recent Wiki meet in Bangalore, Sundar (Tamil Wikipedian) brought
to our notice that Google is contributing to various Indian language Wikis
using Google translation kit and paid translators. In Tamil Wiki, we feel a
strong need to corordinate / organize this activity andwe hope it is the same
situation in many Indian language wikis.
So, may I propose that we discuss this in this mailing list and send a common
notification from Indian language wikis to Google India? To begin with I
propose the following. Please add to the list.
1. Google should appoint one coordinator each for every Indian language wiki
where they contribute articles. This coordinator should be available to reach
by mail and be adequately responsive (Say, once a week at least). He will take
feedback from the wiki community and pass it to the paid contributors.
2. If Googe policy allows, they should know us the time frame and scale of this
operation so we can plan accordingly.
3. Google should not translate existing articles because they are over riding
4. Each Wiki can submit a list of needed articles and the translators can
consider giving priority from them.
5. Each Wiki can draft an essential Manual of Style which the translators shall
6. Based on the responses for above, we shall periodically re-evaluate how we
can continue to cooperate with Google.
After we finalise the list , some one of us who has links with Google India
team can take this forward.
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list