This is a common issue, which has been done several times.
IFor example, for the BETL project [Hosur Road], the length of the flyover
was mentioned on a noticeboard, on Hosur Road, which I put up, and then went
in search of a source. The details of the flyover, word-to-word, have been
carried numerous times by Times of India, without citation and/or
attribution.
Earlier, User PlaneMad had posted something about images too.
http://theystolemywork.com/2010/02/17/major-publication-rips-off-flickr-photo/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arunganesh/4345797042/

I feel, we MUST all formulate a letter, and send it to these presshouses.
Preferably, this should be done after the India chapter is set up.
- Regards,

On 28 May 2010 14:57, Utkarshraj Atmaram <utcur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was going through the Wikipedia article on the Babbar Khalsa member
> Jagtar Singh Hawara, and found that he has been described as a
> "freedom fighter" in the intro. A page on the Network 18 website
> in.com was cited as the reference for the term "freedom figher":
> http://connect.in.com/jagtar-singh-hawara/biography-128389.html
>
> I found it surprising that Network 18 described the alleged assassin
> of Beant Singh as a "freedom fighter". On closer scrutiny, I realized
> that the in.com page is just a mirror of the Wikipedia article's intro
> section. This is obvious from the content and the presence of unlinked
> reference numbers (such as "[1][2]") in the text. If you view the page
> source, you'll find a meta tag: <META NAME="Author" CONTENT="Web18
> Wiki">.
>
> It seems that Web 18 (the Internet and Mobile arm of Network 18) has
> been scraping content from the introduction sections of several
> Wikipedia articles on a regular basis and publishing it on in.com
> without proper attribution (which is required by CC-BY-SA). This can
> be confirmed by visiting other pages on the website and clicking on
> the "Bio" links on these pages. A few examples:
>
> http://connect.in.com/kuldip-singh-brar/biography-167025.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuldip_Singh_Brar
>
> http://connect.in.com/environment/biography-517121.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Built_environment
>
> http://connect.in.com/taliban/biography-522879.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban
>
> There's another, deeper problem here (which has been discussed many
> times before): reputed media sources use content from Wikpedia without
> attribution, and these sources are then used as references in the
> Wikipedia articles to support false claims. Back in 2009, an IP user
> (presumably a supporter of the Khalistan movement) had edited the
> article to replace the word "Militant" with "freedom fighter":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jagtar_Singh_Hawara&diff=277698712&oldid=277433764
>
> Then in.come must have simply copied this content without attribution,
> and in 2010, another IP address used in.com as a reference to support
> the assertion that Hawara was a "freedom fighter":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jagtar_Singh_Hawara&diff=next&oldid=334812460
>
> --
> Utkarshraj Atmaram
> http://ut7.in/blog/