Arun is right that the Indian goverment typically gets ahead of
themselves where they release news far before they are ready to deliver
on what they say that can/will do. I believe that are still sourcing
these products from China/Taiwan so it will still take them time to get
the price down to $35 US. However, it shouldn't slow us down from
thinking about these opportunities. We should think of scalable
solutions that could be applied to all low cost PCs. I know OLPC
developed their own offline PC version of selected Wikipedia articles
(we should talk to SJ about that) and there has been interest from the
Intel classmate folks. I also know several people at the Taiwan
information ministry and they have been focusing on developing more and
more low-cost educational PCs for the developing world (including India,
Africa, and Latin America). If we have a scalable technical solution
that adapts to memory and processor constraints, and the content needs
of each community, we can address this entire area.

--Kul