I agree that the press coverage is (and always tends to be) skewed when
it comes to Wikipedia, Wikimedia and India. And it doesn't help that the
explanation is pretty clear but complicated. In a few months, we will
have the Wikimedia Foundation India office, the Wikimedia India chapter,
and of course - as always - the Wikimedia community in India. I can only
see more confusion!

Perhaps you - or others - can set up something on India-meta? An
explanation such as the one just offered (who does what) + something
about the difference between Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
would be very useful for the press, if kept simple. Then we could point
them to this page every time there's interest - or print it out and
distribute it for subsequent press interactions as well. I'll help, and
others will too - I'm sure - if you get it going.