I agree that the press coverage is (and always tends to be) a bit
whacked when it comes to Wikipedia, Wikimedia and India. And it doesn't
help that the explanation is pretty clear but complicated. In a few
months, we will have the Wikimedia Foundation India office, the
Wikimedia India chapter, and of course - as always - the Wikimedia
community in India, not to mention various sub-community groupings. I
can only see more confusion unfortunately.

Perhaps you can set up something on India-meta? An explanation such as
the one just offered (who does what) + something about the difference
between Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects would be very useful for
the press, if kept simple. Then we could point them to this page every
time there's interest - or print it out and distribute it for subsequent
press interactions as well. I'll help, and others will too - I'm sure -
if you get it going.