Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for your detailed help!

Taking it to the logical next step, I've created a wiki page for this
campaign:

http://education.wikia.com/wiki/Wikipedia_For_Schools_Offline_Edition

I will do my best to incorporate all your advice there; requesting you to
jump in as well!

All are requested to gather here and collaborate! (including mumbai and pune
wikipedia lists here as well). Urging the volunteers who obtain the
wikipedia for schools dump to enlist themselves here, and we'll be listing
the schools that we empower - one by one!

I'm proud to mention that a school I'm volunteering in Pune, where some
Teach For India fellows are teaching, is the first "empowered" school, where
I've installed Wikipedia for Schools in the computer lab and the office!
It's an under-resourced school but now the kids there have access to a
wealth of knowledge! And you should see them in action!

Why I created the page in wikia : In Wikipedia, when I went to create a new
page, it clearly said the content ought to be encyclopedic in nature -
whereas THIS is more of a movement and recruitment page. So to be on the
safe side I went to the education wikia where things are a little sparse ;).
I've worked with wikia in toastmasters.wikia.com and am comfortable with it.
If anyone can establish a good location on wikipedia itself, which doesn't
get deleted later, and migrate everything there, it'll be great! There are
lots of external links on this so need to be careful.

Further plans (if you guys can help!):
1. A proliferation meetup where a lot of us can get together and copy the
dump to our laptop/netbook/USB drive. 1 goes to 20... and we can scale up
the project like crazy.
2. To tie up with DVD distributors and bulk-produce, provided the costs are
as low as humanly possible. Maybe Wikimedia India could maintain a stock?

(Seemingly Impossible) Requests:
1. Can anybody add a link to versions of Kiwix that work on non-Windows OS's
like Linux, Apple, Android? My focus is on Android, for future mobile
perspective...
2. Can we get a version of this that doesn't have Image files? Then the size
will be much lesser. Of course, that's less attractive, but I'm looking for
an opportunity to take this to mobile devices. How can we edit a .ZIM file?

Cheers,
Nikhil Sheth
+91-966-583-1250
Pune, India