On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:38, <wheredevelsd...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I have mentioned to Bishaka, Vivek and Pradeep in person and on the Mumbai
> list. After our first Mumbai Photowalk, I ran a quick check on Flickr for
> Mumbai related content and found a lot of relevant and professional
> photographs. I contacted relevant uploaders requesting them to change
> licensing to CC-BY or CC-BY-SA so that to allow use on Wikipedia.

Great, its one of the easiest way to hunt for photos and identifying image
sources which release all pictures in CC / public domain will give whole lot
of pictures. I remember WEF / CII has done a world of good in releasing
pictures of Indian politicians / economists / businessmen to Wikipedia.

> It may be a good idea for us to concentrate on getting pictures from Flickr
> rather than conducting more photowalks (by identifying requisite photographs
> and requesting them via comments on the said photo and email to the
> photographer/flickr user).

I feel both activities should go in parallel, one is no substitute for the
other. While getting quality pictures from flickr through license change
will help in professional images, Photowalks / Wiki loves XXX also creates
an awareness among the participants about CC, who may in future release
their pictures automatically in CC / may even upload to commons and edit :)

Regards,
Srikanth L