From: Arun Ramarathnam <arunra...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Is it morally right for govts to support
sanskrit wikipedia?
To: "Wikimedia India Community list" <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: "Basavaraj Itnal" <basavarajit...@yahoo.com>
Date: Saturday, February 26, 2011, 10:36 AM

Basavaraj,

First of all, welcome to the mailing list and thanks for you interest in
wikipedia.

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Basavaraj Itnal <basavarajit...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

1. Till the Britsh Raj, Brahmins kept a large part of Indian society out of
bounds from knowledge which was in Sanskrit. They had provisions to pour molten
lead into the ears of non-brahmins (including all women) who even heard a word
of sanskrit. knowledge contained in that language is now available in English
and Sanskrit only symbolises tyranny. Do we need Wikipedia in Sanskrit with the
support of govt funding?

On you question on government support for a specific language, it would be
inappropriate for anyone to comment on behalf of government action. They (govt)
are probably best positioned to respond to that query.

As a far support for wikipedia or wikipedia is concerned, given there is a lot
of volunteer work to be done, support from any quarters is welcome -
individuals or organisations is welcome.

The intention of this list is to connect wikipedians and those interested in
wikipedia.

Wikipedia seeks to collate the sum total off all knowledge and make it
available for all to use freely. That includes as many languages as possible
including Sanskrit and Pali.

We should also bear in mind the following as well;

- The eight schedule of the Indian constitution lists Sanskrit as one of the 22
languages [1]
- Sanskrit is also the official language of one of the states of India -
Uttarkhand. [2]

2. Why cannt we have a wikepedia in Pali as well, the language which was used
by Budha and which can give us an alternate view on life to that of vedic view?

This has been answered by others on the list. You are welcome to contribute to
Pali or any other language of your choice / interest on wikipedia.Volunteer
content contributions are most welcome.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_languages_of_India
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uttarkhand

best regards