i just recieved the digest and it mostly contains only replies to the issues i 
raised. most of my mails are missing. or is there a glitch?
Basavaraj N Itnal


--- On Sat, 2/26/11, wikimediaindia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org 
<wikimediaindia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org> wrote:

> From: wikimediaindia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org 
> <wikimediaindia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Subject: Wikimediaindia-l Digest, Vol 32, Issue 113
> To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> Date: Saturday, February 26, 2011, 1:23 PM
> Send Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> submissions to
>     wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>     https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help'
> to
>     wikimediaindia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>     wikimediaindia-l-ow...@lists.wikimedia.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more
> specific
> than "Re: Contents of Wikimediaindia-l digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Re: Is it morally right for govts to
> support sanskrit
>       wikipedia? (Gautam John)
>    2. Re: Is it morally right for govts to
> support sanskrit
>       wikipedia? (Srikanth Ramakrishnan)
>    3. Re: Is it morally right for govts to
> support sanskrit
>       wikipedia? (Gautam John)
>    4. Re: Is it morally right for govts to
> support sanskrit
>       wikipedia? (Prateek Ramachandra)
>    5. Re: Is it morally right for govts to
> support sanskrit
>       wikipedia? (Swaroop Rao)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:36:56 +0530
> From: Gautam John <gau...@prathambooks.org>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Is it morally right for
> govts to
>     support sanskrit wikipedia?
> To: Wikimedia India Community list
>     <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Message-ID:
>     <AANLkTimk7cfL6Dapw1=rnoqysczwwzc0pum3dkwb0...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> Hi Basavaraj (and welcome to the list!):
> 
> Arguendo, that Sanskti is socially irrelevant, why should a
> Wikipedia
> in that language not exist by force of action given that
> one already
> exists and is active? Would that not be a morally egregious
> position -
> to state that it should *not* exist? In my humble view,
> there is a big
> difference between forcefully shutting something that is
> active down
> and in not encouraging activity on something that is
> dormant.
> 
> Also, Wikipedia in any language is not a body of work about
> that
> language but an encyclopedia in that language - the two
> aren't really
> analogous.
> 
> Thank you.
> 
> Best,
> 
> Gautam
> ________
> http://social.prathambooks.org/
> 
> 
> 
> On 26 February 2011 16:31, Basavaraj Itnal <basavarajit...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > some reading on brahmanical tyranny,?lack of social
> relevence of sanskrit?and related topics
> >
> > http://books.google.co.in/books?id=Be3PCvzf-BYC&pg=PA286&lpg=PA286&dq=sanskrit+brahmin+tyranny&source=bl&ots=9iavUaojxp&sig=by29KPhS9N1zl7yblgKxwhxs_DQ&hl=en&ei=DNdoTebsDIrMrQeakfDCCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=sanskrit%20brahmin%20tyranny&f=false
> >
> > http://www.ambedkar.org/brahmanism/Brahmins_were_benefited_by_Muslim_Conquest.htm
> >
> >
> > http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/sanskrit_exposure.htm
> >
> >
> >
> > Basavaraj N Itnal
> >
> > --- On Sat, 2/26/11, Arun Ramarathnam <arunra...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > From: Arun Ramarathnam <arunra...@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Is it morally right
> for govts to support sanskrit wikipedia?
> > To: "Wikimedia India Community list" <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> > Cc: "Basavaraj Itnal" <basavarajit...@yahoo.com>
> > Date: Saturday, February 26, 2011, 10:36 AM
> >
> > Basavaraj,
> > First of all, welcome to the mailing list and thanks
> for you interest in wikipedia.
> > On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Basavaraj Itnal
> <basavarajit...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > 1. Till the Britsh Raj, Brahmins kept a large part of
> Indian society out of bounds from knowledge which was in
> Sanskrit. They had provisions to pour molten lead into the
> ears of non-brahmins (including all women) who even heard a
> word of sanskrit. knowledge contained in that language is
> now available in English and Sanskrit only symbolises
> tyranny. Do we need Wikipedia in Sanskrit with the support
> of govt funding?
> >
> > On you question on government support for a specific
> language, it would be inappropriate for anyone to comment on
> behalf of government action. They (govt) are probably best
> positioned to respond to that query.
> > As a far support for wikipedia or wikipedia is
> concerned, given there is a lot of volunteer work to be
> done, support from any quarters is welcome - individuals or
> organisations is welcome.
> > The intention of this list is to connect wikipedians
> and those interested in wikipedia.
> > Wikipedia seeks to collate the sum total off all
> knowledge and make it available for all to use freely. That
> includes as many languages as possible including Sanskrit
> and Pali.
> > We should also bear in mind the following as well;
> > - The eight schedule of the Indian constitution lists
> Sanskrit as one of the 22 languages [1]
> > - Sanskrit is also the official language of one of the
> states of India - Uttarkhand. [2]
> >
> >
> > 2. Why cannt we have a wikepedia in Pali as well, the
> language which was used by Budha and which can give us an
> alternate view on life to that of vedic view?
> >
> >
> > This has been answered by others on the list. You are
> welcome to contribute to Pali or any other language of your
> choice / interest on wikipedia.Volunteer content
> contributions are most welcome.
> > [1]?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_languages_of_India
> > [2]?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uttarkhand
> > best regards
> > Arun
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> > Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> > Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
> >
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:40:43 +0530
> From: Srikanth Ramakrishnan <rsrikant...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Is it morally right for
> govts to
>     support sanskrit wikipedia?
> To: Wikimedia India Community list
>     <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Message-ID:
>    
> <AANLkTimoTes0Aiar39ugb+4FBCH1x-ko0=degrhc6...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> What does, sanskirt wikipedia have to do with social class
> and caste system
> and what not?
> Regards,
> Srikanth
> 
> On 26 February 2011 16:36, Gautam John <gau...@prathambooks.org>
> wrote:
> 
> > Hi Basavaraj (and welcome to the list!):
> >
> > Arguendo, that Sanskti is socially irrelevant, why
> should a Wikipedia
> > in that language not exist by force of action given
> that one already
> > exists and is active? Would that not be a morally
> egregious position -
> > to state that it should *not* exist? In my humble
> view, there is a big
> > difference between forcefully shutting something that
> is active down
> > and in not encouraging activity on something that is
> dormant.
> >
> > Also, Wikipedia in any language is not a body of work
> about that
> > language but an encyclopedia in that language - the
> two aren't really
> > analogous.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Gautam
> > ________
> > http://social.prathambooks.org/
> >
> >
> >
> > On 26 February 2011 16:31, Basavaraj Itnal <basavarajit...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > some reading on brahmanical tyranny, lack of
> social relevence of
> > sanskrit and related topics
> > >
> > >
> > http://books.google.co.in/books?id=Be3PCvzf-BYC&pg=PA286&lpg=PA286&dq=sanskrit+brahmin+tyranny&source=bl&ots=9iavUaojxp&sig=by29KPhS9N1zl7yblgKxwhxs_DQ&hl=en&ei=DNdoTebsDIrMrQeakfDCCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=sanskrit%20brahmin%20tyranny&f=false
> > >
> > >
> > http://www.ambedkar.org/brahmanism/Brahmins_were_benefited_by_Muslim_Conquest.htm
> > >
> > >
> > > http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/sanskrit_exposure.htm
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Basavaraj N Itnal
> > >
> > > --- On Sat, 2/26/11, Arun Ramarathnam <arunra...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > From: Arun Ramarathnam <arunra...@gmail.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Is it morally
> right for govts to support
> > sanskrit wikipedia?
> > > To: "Wikimedia India Community list" <
> > wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> > > Cc: "Basavaraj Itnal" <basavarajit...@yahoo.com>
> > > Date: Saturday, February 26, 2011, 10:36 AM
> > >
> > > Basavaraj,
> > > First of all, welcome to the mailing list and
> thanks for you interest in
> > wikipedia.
> > > On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Basavaraj Itnal
> <
> > basavarajit...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > 1. Till the Britsh Raj, Brahmins kept a large
> part of Indian society out
> > of bounds from knowledge which was in Sanskrit. They
> had provisions to pour
> > molten lead into the ears of non-brahmins (including
> all women) who even
> > heard a word of sanskrit. knowledge contained in that
> language is now
> > available in English and Sanskrit only symbolises
> tyranny. Do we need
> > Wikipedia in Sanskrit with the support of govt
> funding?
> > >
> > > On you question on government support for a
> specific language, it would
> > be inappropriate for anyone to comment on behalf of
> government action. They
> > (govt) are probably best positioned to respond to that
> query.
> > > As a far support for wikipedia or wikipedia is
> concerned, given there is
> > a lot of volunteer work to be done, support from any
> quarters is welcome -
> > individuals or organisations is welcome.
> > > The intention of this list is to connect
> wikipedians and those interested
> > in wikipedia.
> > > Wikipedia seeks to collate the sum total off all
> knowledge and make it
> > available for all to use freely. That includes as many
> languages as possible
> > including Sanskrit and Pali.
> > > We should also bear in mind the following as
> well;
> > > - The eight schedule of the Indian constitution
> lists Sanskrit as one of
> > the 22 languages [1]
> > > - Sanskrit is also the official language of one
> of the states of India -
> > Uttarkhand. [2]
> > >
> > >
> > > 2. Why cannt we have a wikepedia in Pali as well,
> the language which was
> > used by Budha and which can give us an alternate view
> on life to that of
> > vedic view?
> > >
> > >
> > > This has been answered by others on the list. You
> are welcome to
> > contribute to Pali or any other language of your
> choice / interest on
> > wikipedia.Volunteer content contributions are most
> welcome.
> > > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_languages_of_India
> > > [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uttarkhand
> > > best regards
> > > Arun
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> > > Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> > > Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> > > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
> > >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> > Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
> >
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Regards,
> ME.
> Wear a Lungi, Support the Movement
>  My infrastructure invasion... plus other images
> too.. on Wikimedia Commons. http://bit.ly/d50SIq
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/attachments/20110226/1acbf6ae/attachment-0001.htm
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:47:10 +0530
> From: Gautam John <gau...@prathambooks.org>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Is it morally right for
> govts to
>     support sanskrit wikipedia?
> To: Wikimedia India Community list
>     <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Message-ID:
>     <aanlktinmcpzkpxexmgsarrtp64txi+4ndymypqobd...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> On 26 February 2011 16:40, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <rsrikant...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> 
> > What does, sanskirt wikipedia have to do with social
> class and caste system
> > and what not?
> 
> IMHO, nothing. Was responding to the earlier email. Mea
> culpa, if it
> was out of place.
> 
> Thank you.
> 
> Best,
> 
> Gautam
> ________
> http://social.prathambooks.org/
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:03:14 +0530
> From: Prateek Ramachandra <prateek...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Is it morally right for
> govts to
>     support sanskrit wikipedia?
> To: Wikimedia India Community list
>     <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Message-ID:
>     <aanlktik4yq2d9eh9n-hfzesn0wj8zuuetkzubu4xh...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Dear Basavaraj,
> 
> Well... Sanskrit is the mother of most Indian languages...
> just because many
> dont know how to speak in sanskrit today... that doesn't
> mean that sanskrit
> should be allowed to wither away... moreover sanskrit is
> one of the official
> languages of India...
> 
> Lets speak about what's happening today... Irrespective of
> cast, creed,
> religion Sanskrit is being taught everywhere... Its open to
> all... anyone
> can learn it if they wish... We have a Sanskrit University
> today in
> Karnataka...
> 
> Views on caste, creed, religion should not be discussed
> here... Lets not
> forget that Wikipedia is today open to all irrespective of
> cast,
> creed,religion... All those who can access internet that
> is... In two
> decades at the most... Computers and internet would be like
> what mobile
> phones are today... it will be available for everyone at
> less cost... Now..
> when that happens... I think Wikipedia would be very handy
> to everyone...
> 
> Its in the best interest for the future generations to
> access about anything
> they wish to learn about, in any language they wish...
> 
> If people put up articles on Wikipedia, edit them and
> provide* credible,
> reliable and relevant *references for their articles...
> then there are no
> problems at all... we will have a wonderful database of
> information about
> nearly everything in most languages that are existing
> today... that should
> be our aim...
> 
> Regards,
> Prateek Ramachandra.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/attachments/20110226/de2da72b/attachment-0001.htm
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:52:47 +0530
> From: Swaroop Rao <raul.swar...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Is it morally right for
> govts to
>     support sanskrit wikipedia?
> To: Wikimedia India Community list
>     <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Message-ID:
>     <aanlktinwe4e6nv0yjlpwku9yonps2wceqaoroqo7_...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Good one Prateek.
> 
> Let us not jump to any conslusions yet. Let us not defeat
> the purpose of
> this mailing list. It is not our part to decide whether the
> government was
> right or wrong and dole out judgements.
> 
> Swaroop G Rao
> 
> 
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 18:03, Prateek Ramachandra 
> <prateek...@gmail.com>wrote:
> 
> > Dear Basavaraj,
> >
> > Well... Sanskrit is the mother of most Indian
> languages... just because
> > many dont know how to speak in sanskrit today... that
> doesn't mean that
> > sanskrit should be allowed to wither away... moreover
> sanskrit is one of the
> > official languages of India...
> >
> > Lets speak about what's happening today...
> Irrespective of cast, creed,
> > religion Sanskrit is being taught everywhere... Its
> open to all... anyone
> > can learn it if they wish... We have a Sanskrit
> University today in
> > Karnataka...
> >
> > Views on caste, creed, religion should not be
> discussed here... Lets not
> > forget that Wikipedia is today open to all
> irrespective of cast,
> > creed,religion... All those who can access internet
> that is... In two
> > decades at the most... Computers and internet would be
> like what mobile
> > phones are today... it will be available for everyone
> at less cost... Now..
> > when that happens... I think Wikipedia would be very
> handy to everyone...
> >
> > Its in the best interest for the future generations to
> access about
> > anything they wish to learn about, in any language
> they wish...
> >
> > If people put up articles on Wikipedia, edit them and
> provide* credible,
> > reliable and relevant *references for their
> articles... then there are no
> > problems at all... we will have a wonderful database
> of information about
> > nearly everything in most languages that are existing
> today... that should
> > be our aim...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Prateek Ramachandra.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> > Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
> >
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/attachments/20110226/85daba55/attachment.htm
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
> 
> 
> End of Wikimediaindia-l Digest, Vol 32, Issue 113
> *************************************************
> 


      

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

Reply via email to