*The Indian Express : "2,155 images uploaded in record 23 days"*
http://expressbuzz.com/cities/thiruvananthapuram/2155-images-uploaded-in-record-23-days/273120.html

*The Malayalam Wiki Community is in high spirits.*
*The programme, ‘Malayalam Loves Wikimedia’ event organised as part of
**improving
the database as well as to attract more Malayalam speaking users to the
Wikimedia movement is a big hit.*
*As many as 2,155 copyright-free licensed images have been contributed to
Wikimedia Commons within a short period of 23 days. Wikimedia Commons is an
online repository of free-use images, sound and other media files. Inspired
by the success of Wikimedia events such as ‘London loves Wikimedia’, the
programme ‘Malayalam Loves Wikimedia’ was organised to create awareness
about copyright-free images, Wikimedia Commons and to attract more Malayalam
speaking users to the Wikimedia movement.*
*
*
*As many as 75 Malayalis, majority of them non-wikimedians, participated in
the event which was organised between April 2 and April 25.*
*The wikimedians selected April considering the Assembly election at that
time.*
*According to them, the election was the perfect time to capture the images
of the notable politicians and important personalities of Kerala.  *
*The speciality of the event was that many non-wikimedians, who were eager
to contribute to the Wikimedia, got an opportunity to be part of it.*
*
*
*The 2,155 copyright-free images uploaded are on diverse topics. This
includes images of famous personalities, buildings, places, equipment and
even popular snacks.*
*Second standard student Sai K Shanmugam was the youngest contributor.*
*He provided 14 images to the Wikimedia Commons.*
*The highest number of uploads was on April 25, the last day of the event.
 As many as 343 images were uploaded on that day.*
*
*
*“This is not the first time Malayalam wikimedians are contributing to the
Wikimedia Commons. During the past few years we have contributed more to
6,000 free-licensed images to Wikimedia Commons. Through this event we have
added another 2,000. We are planning for more topic-based events in the near
future,” the organisers said.*

Regards
Tinu Cherian
http://wikimedia.in/wiki/In_the_news#May_2011