Theo,

Although I may not agree with Ravi or Ashwin completely, I feel that
open-minded discussion about this doesn't hurt. The grant and its details
are public, and Ravi has expressed his opinion on it.

Ravi is a longtime Wikipedian on Tamil Wikipedia, and one of the authors of
this:
http://www.archive.org/details/BadriSeshadriAnIntroductiontoTamilWikipediabyRavisankar_KizhakkuMottaimaadi

(Personally, I don't think his mail intended to denigrate anyone's work.
I've known him as a really committed Wikipedian - he's done some amazing
work in Tamil Nadu)

Ashwin does have a point though when he says that it is quite a task getting
sponsorship for event of this scale. Event organizers hunting for sponsors
almost an year before the event isn't uncommon.

Cheers,

--
Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net