I agree with Tinu/Theo/Hari that there is a need for an extension.

Like Tinu, I am also worried of the response so far and it will definitely
affect the Chapter in the sort to medium term (maybe even hurt its image) if
the right people are not elected.

Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:49:51 +0530
From: hpna...@gmail.com
To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimedia India chapter - Executive Committee
Elections 2011

Agree with Theo on this. The notification was sent just earlier this week.
There should be an extension.

Although I'm with the appeal to long time Wikipedians in requesting them to
nominate themselves, I wouldn't go overboard thinking that the response is
either disappointing or concerning for the future of Wikimedia India Chapter.
There just wasn't enough time given for members and by any means - sending out
just e-mail notifications doesn't suffice. The people responsible for the
elections (is that the nominations committee?) should do more, like dropping a
message on the members' user page on Wikipedia. Many people may not be checking
emails from this mailing list regularly. Also, the members may have questions
-- about the role, about the term they're signing up for and much more.

Like some emails sent to this list, the members may also need help nominating
themselves. Is there an FAQ for nominations, btw?

Cheers,