>>A question - how hard is it to write a bot that runs contributions
through Google and flags it based on the degree of match and whether a
footnote exists or not?

One such bot existed called corensearchbot which used yahoo to flag
copyvios. But yahoo changed its terms of service and it had be to stopped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-09-05/Opinion_essay

last week in a conversation in jimbowales talk page in en wiki, jimmy said
he and coren were talking to google to allow this free of charge or
something and something good is to be expected in the near future (i am not
sure, i might be mangling his meaning).