Hi Bala, Srikanth

Thanks for the report on the site notice experiment.

Initially, we started tracking the new editors manually at
http://tawp.in/r/2gk8 and within 6 days noted 14 new editors. This is quite
unusual from a Tamil Wikipedia perspective. Meaningful edits from new
contributors come only once in a while before this.

We also tried a signup notice for anonymous users and it almost tripled
daily signups.

We have done numerous outreach meetups, PR initiatives and have come to a
conclusion that this is the best way to get new editors with least effort.
It is easier to sell Wikipedia's philosophy to people who already use and
visit us. [Analogy: Selling fries to people buying burgers :) ]

People are unaware that there is a community behind Wikipedia and this
exercise perfectly highlights the human element. By showcasing editors from
various backgrounds, new editors can feel at home comparing themselves to
the existing editors. This also sends a message that the community and the
contribution is valued very much and helps to motivate both existing and
prospective contributors. Having this in the site notice will be a constant
reminder and we have also seen people long inactive get back to editing.

The regular meetups are useful in strengthening the existing community and
for general lobbying / branding of Wikipedia amongst various networks like
academia, press and the government.

Regards,

Ravi