hi,

Even other FOSS events in India like the upcoming Python conference, PyCon (
http://in.pycon.org/2011/) is using such venues as Twitter (they have a
twitter account!). FOSS.in was also on Twitter (again, with an account! -
http://twitter.com/fossdotin).

Given these two examples (there might be more), I wonder why we should not
use Twitter as well.

I am doubtful if there are pushing technologies when we do not have
accounts, where all we're doing is watching conversations around the hashtag
#wci11 and help if such help is needed. These are people already on Twitter
whom we're trying to help. Also, to engage them in ways that will have them
take a look at Wikipedia and maybe one day edit!

Also said, I am happy that this discussion did take place. These suggestions
are points for us (in the free community) to consider. Perhaps, a few of us
will try services such as identi.ca, if not anything else. If there are
interested developers here, the mobile version for identi.ca does need a lot
of work on.

warm regards,
Pradeep Mohandas

On 15 September 2011 12:40, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 16:48, Nagarjuna G <nagar...@gnowgi.org> wrote:
>

>> There are technical ways to push messages to the popular proprietary
>> social media like facebook and twitter.  Therefore you do not loose anyone,
>> but at the same time we can also push a message about free social media,
>> which is in the larger interest of free knowledge community.
>>

> Agree with you that tecnical solutions exist, but then we are not the only
> one to use "proprietary social media". So its not bad using it. Everyone
> uses it, be it Jimmy or events like Wikimania. The primary intent is to
> reach out and in a simple way. Well as i mentioned before, If you want help
> out spreading the word by using free media, you are more than welcome.
>
> Lets not also get paranoid about Free stuff, which case the conference
> needs to have a hotel which only uses Free stuff (right from bubble top
> water,everything is proprietary)  and so on. Lets get real, while we support
> free culture, we need not always be living for it.
>
> --
> Regards
> Srikanth.L

Pradeep Mohandas