I get the feeling there are some people/ recipients on the numerous mailing
lists of Wikipedia, that got signed up inadvertently or by someone other
than themselves. Maybe it would be good idea to introduce a step where a new
member has to briefly explain why he or she wants to join the list. It's
tedious for the moderator, I know but could weed out some of the spam we get
in the form of unsubscribe  requests, blank emails etc