Iv used turnitin during my MBA and can say that Iv seen people upload their
projects there, note where the software catches them, change the language in
that part and re-submit. People will go to any lengths ..

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 19:33:12 +0530
From: sodabot...@gmail.com
To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Death and Post-mortem of Indian Education
Program pilot -- #DelayedMail

>>Many of us went through college recently know its not *Some*, its
*Most*. Anything called assignment and graded will be copy-pasted even
by the brightest 5% of students in class who would have potential to do
on their own.

+1.  with Srikanth This is the SINGLE MOST important thing to remember for the
future. Lets cut the political correctness and putting the blame everywhere
else than where it belongs - the students and faculty involved

In my four years of college, i copy pasted almost every single assignment given
to me. I did not know it was wrong and wouldnt have cared if someone from
outside pointed it to me. The attitude i saw from the IEP students is exactly
the same. Unless the students are penalised for plagiarism by being failed in
the course, they are not going to change the behaviour. And how many of your
professors in indian education were concerned that you were copy pasting your
assignment. (None of mine cared - i can say with confidence that is the same
case in 99% of the cases in India now)

So no amount of increasing the number of campus ambassadors, their training,
etc would help unless there is a stick involved - How many times did the campus
ambassadors tried to tell students not to copy paste?. How many of the students
heeded the warning. This issue was raised in Late August. There were two whole
months to hammer in the message and it didnt work out. Why? there were no
serious implications for the students involved. There is a conversation in
Srikanth's en wiki talk page, where a student tries to weasel out of copyvio by
giving every excuse in the book - he did not correct his behaviour, but instead
tried everything to get the copyvio he added approved.

Those who got blocked weaseled, whined and pleaded for an unblock but in many
of the cases reverted to the previous behaviour, when they thought they could
get away with it. They are socking and trying to remove cleanup comments from
the IEP page !!!!. Without a no-nonsense approach, you will only gets repeats
of such behaviour.

So here is what is to be done:

1) Keep the number low - The next round should have less than 50 students. No
classwide / collegewide  blanket programs. Make this a "interested students
only" program.  We have clearly demonstrated there is no manpower to handle
anything more.  We have about exhausted the goodwill of the en wiki community.
If this repeats, you are looking at a wholesale blocks for the students and IP
addresses.

2) Penalise those who copy paste  -  either they should be failed by their
professors. If the professors dont care, drop the program and stop going back
to that institution. Wikipedia is a work in progress, we dont need plagiarism
by Indian students to shore it up. We are not that desperate.

3) The CA to student ratio has to be 5 to 1. Anything more seems to
non-workable. Online Ambassadors/mentors are not handholders and error
correctors. I signed up to be an online ambassador. But stopped reading the IEP
mails that were sent to me after i realised, that the IEP program essentially
wanted to me to do the students' work.

a 50.