On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Hisham <hmun...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I thought I'd share with you a couple of links that are of relevance to
> the India Education Program.  As you are aware, we are running a pilot of
> the education program in Pune.  We are collating hard numbers to evaluate
> the pilot - and we'll share a full evaluation as soon as it is ready.
>  However, it is clear that there are a number of mistakes that have been
> made - some of which ought to have been avoided (especially with regards to
> communicating stronger with the global wikipedia community, not agreeing to
> so many students signing up, anticipating the copy-pasting issue, etc.)
>
> There've been many learnings that we're taking from it and Nitika has been
> collating these at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_-_India_Programs/Education_Program
> Please do note that this page is a draft and is very much work-in-progress.
>  In addition, do also check out the discussion page - which we are trying
> to have as a focal point for all discussion regarding the education
> program.
>
> In addition, Signpost covered the education program on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-11-07/Interview
>  and
> there are some very nuanced and insightful comments on it.
>
> Many thanks for sharing these links, Hisham. I spent the last couple of
hours poring over all of them before my eyes started glazing.

I read this talk page [1] from top to bottom - it was particularly useful
in seeing how the whole copyvio issue started, then grew bigger and bigger.

Apart from the content, I was struck by:
*the helpful, purposive and constructive suggestions and analysis from
editors
*a general absence of combativeness or baiting
*an overall openness to feedback and responsiveness on the part of the
India Education Program team

The statistical discussion on this talk page [2] was very useful to get a
sense of the magnitude of the problem.

It looks like many of the suggestions made on these pages have directly
been incorporated into the learnings page at [3] - this is an excellent
step.

There are so many good points on all these pages, such a willingness to
help strengthen the program, and so much openness to doing so, that I now
feel more hopeful for the future.

Best
Bishakha

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:India_Education_Program