On 13-Nov-2011, at 4:07 PM, Bishakha Datta wrote:

> I'm hoping we'll hear more about the successes of the project, and eventually
> come to a balanced understanding of what worked and what didn't.
>
> At this stage, we're hearing much more about what didn't work, so it's hard
> to assess the pilot meaningfully.

Thanks for bringing this up Bishakha. I do agree with you - like any other
thing IEP has had its own set of highs and lows, ups and downs, failures and
successes. I wanted to provide a more holistic view and share some analysis
that I have done about IEP to see what worked during the pilot and what did
not.

Successes
Our brilliant army of Campus Ambassadors who have voluntarily put in extra
hours of work than they'd been asked to when they'd applied for Campus
Ambassador Program. Several in-class sessions, copyvio sessions, co-ordinating
with faculty, actively going from student to student and solving their queries,
organizing regular CA meet ups/faculty meet ups, going through articles
students have written, helping students understand how to do praphrasing and
the list goes on and on. No matter what the circumstances were and no matter
how busy they were there were always couple of CAs who would actively volunteer
for the work that was required to be done. They have put their heart and soul
in the program and would like to thank each one of them for all their efforts
and dedication towards the program!

A lot of students who have been actively editing additional articles 'besides
the ones on which they'll be graded'. These students are genuinely interested
in Wiki editing and have written some very good articles. Just to add, these
students understand the consequences of plagiarism and who knows, these newbies
might turn into long term wikipedians.

I would also like to share with you all some of the good articles that students
have written. I feel in the midst of all the copyvio chaos we have not
congratulated students who have done brilliant work on wikipedia:

Challenges of Inflationary Policy In India
Private_sector_banks_in_India
Innovations_in_the_Indian_banking_system
Credit_Control
Commercial_paper_in_India
Indian_money_market
Risk_management_in_Indian_banks
Monetary_policy_of_India
Loan waiver
All_India_Financial_Institutions
Non-banking_Financial_Company
economic_survey
Public_Private_Partnership_in_India
Public_float
Finance_in_India
Foreign_Exchange_Management_Act
Public_sector_banks_in_India
Robinson Crusoe Economy
Human Capital
Land acquisition in India
Partial equilibrium
Labour Discrimination
Testing high-performance computing applications
Test Data Generation
Testing in data mining applications
Applications of Stack
Double-ended priority queue
Constructor(Object-oriented programming)

These are just few of the articles. And as you'll notice not only have these
students written good articles they have also contributed in great way by
adding Indian content on wiki.

Failures (and while pointing out the failures, I'd also like to address some
concerns raised by specific people in this mail trail)
There is no denying that our lack of communication with the global wikipedia
community would be the biggest failure.
Initially when we had approached the OAs we'd thought that their role will be
similar (if not the same) to the OAs involved in PPI. But because of several
other issues (students adding plagiarized material, low quality content etc) we
had to start with the clean up project and hence the role of OAs also changed.
I think this change of role caused some confusion for the OAs. So Bala/ Surya,
I note your point here going forward we have to have more effective
communication with the OAs and the entire OA Program should be designed and
monitored in a better fashion.
Accepting some of the inexperienced Wikipedians to become OAs. However we
recognized our mistake well in time and  got more experienced wikipedians as
OAs ( OAs who were actively involved in PPI).
As Swaroop/Arnav rightly said, we'll have to branch out to other subject
streams. It was really difficult for first year engineering students (who were
still studying the basics of engineering) to pick up topics on which they could
write wikipedia articles because most of those articles were very well covered.
Not briefing students about plagiarism and copyvios  during the initial
in-class sessions. Going forward, we have to make sure that students are taught
about this topic in detail.

Arnav, Arjun, Swaroop et all - I agree with you! IEP is not dead. The program
faced its own set of challenges and we've learnt a lot out of this pilot. We're
still studying the trends, our mistakes, our successes and we'll share our
evaluation with you all sometime soon.

Thanks
Nitika