Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 21:45:03 +0530
From: vvcris...@radiophony.com
To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Wikimediaindia-l] Braille/touchscreen integration

Several persons attending the recent WikiConfIndia 2011 drew attention to the
need for greater ease of use for persons with visual challenges - Barry
Newstead referred specifically to this need, commenting that in general,
usability improvements for persons with special needs pay off for the community
at large.

This recent development at Stanford
http://www.springwise.com/lifestyle_leisure/braille-writing-software-touchscreen-devices/
 describes how visually impaired persons with Braille skills can interact
directly with touchscreen devices. What is very striking about this solution is
that it does not involve tactile feedback, as one might expect. Instead, once
switched to Braille mode, the screen senses multiple finger placement and
translates that into the expected Braille codes (see the video to understand
this, if you are unfamiliar with Braille typing).

To echo Barry's comments made at WCI2011, I think a certain amount of such
out-of-the-box thinking could go a long way to creating an interface that is
intuitively more approachable than the present wiki editor.

--
Vickram
Fool On The Hill