The number (and the total inconsistency with how many people actually
protested) comes from here:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/protest-against-wrong-map-mars-countrys-first-wiki-conference/877826/0

in which it simultaneously describes "hundreds of protesters" *and* that
"all 21 who protested were arrested".

Go figure.

The article that's been created out of the controversy is a storm in a
teacup (and as such is hardly notable) but the storm was so small it was
barely noticeable - and would have stayed that way except for the
misreporting of it.