I'm writing to share an update on the way forward as far as making sure that we
adequately capture all the learnings possible from the India Education Program.
 We also want to make sure that these learnings are robust and are incorporated
into the core program design going forward.  We also would like these learnings
to also be of an adequately granular level so that we can identify trends of
what doesn't work and what might work better - such as year of students, nature
of faculty involvement, subject area, etc.

We are planning multiple channels to capture, analyse and incorporate these
learnings.

WMF has commissioned a researcher, Tory Read, to conduct an evaluative study of
the IEP and provide recommendations for improvement.  Over the course of next
few days, she will be interviewing several teachers, students, CAs, Directors,
admins and other wikipedia editors from the global community to take their
input and views about IEP.   She has already spoken to staff in SF, spent the
day with us in Delhi and will be in Pune over the next 4 days conducting
face-to-face interviews.  She will also be reaching out to community members
outside of Pune.  She will then write an evaluative story about what worked,
what did not and  learnings from the the pilot.

A series of video interviews were done by a Campus Ambassador in Pune -
Abhishek Suryawanshi who conducted interviews with students, professors and
Campus Ambassadors in Pune. We promised all interviewees that any personal
identifying information would be removed from this analysis to encourage them
to speak freely.

In addition, India Programs consultants (Hisham & I) and  Wikimedia Foundation
staff (Frank Schulenburg and LiAnna Davis) are interviewing experienced
Wikipedia editors from India and across the world.  Please do reply offlist if
any one of us can contact you to ask your views (if we already have not.)

We want to collate data points to be able to analyze and draw out trends. Here
is an example of data that we're trying to dig out (and this is just a sub-set
of a preliminary list)
What's the amount of data that students have added to Wikipedia? What's the
amount of data that got reverted? What's the net amount of information that the
students have added on Wikipedia?
How many students edited articles outside of their in-class assignments?
How many student's got warnings on their talk pages? How many students
corrected their errors after these warnings?
How many students got blocked? / How many students got blocked more than once?

At the WikiConference India we also had a IEP round table where we invited a
couple of students, professors and campus ambassadors to share their personal
views and experience working with IEP pilot.   I'm going to upload the video if
it's possible and share this with you.  It was a very useful session where we
discussed many of the points that will inform our future work - such as
determining whether it should be voluntary or not, what student's were thinking
while they engaged in copy-pasting into their articles, improvements to Campus
Ambassador training, ideas on what kind of professors can work best on a
project of this nature, etc.

The Learnings Page is my *very* preliminary draft at collating learnings from
the pilot and exploring how how we can incorporate these in our way forward.

We will shortly summaries of all these findings as and when they are ready -
and welcome an open discussion on them.

Do please share your thoughts and suggestions on the above.  Please also do let
me know if I've missed out anything.

Thanks

Nitika