On 28-Nov-2011, at 5:01 PM, sankarshan wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Nitika <ntan...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> We want to collate data points to be able to analyze and draw out trends.
>> Here is an example of data that we're trying to dig out (and this is just a
>> sub-set of a preliminary list)
>
> Sharing the entire list of data points would be a nice thing to have.
> If it is possible.

As mentioned before, this is just an example of data point set that we'd like
to analyze. This is just a rough draft and not by any means the final list of
data points that will be under study. Indeed, it  will be great to conduct a
community IRC chat where we all can brainstorm what data points should be
analyzed. We can then follow up with a talk page discussion for other people to
chine in with questions and their suggestions.

>> What's the amount of data that students have added to Wikipedia? What's the
>> amount of data that got reverted? What's the net amount of information that
>> the students have added on Wikipedia?
>
> The above should lend themselves to instrumentation and should be
> somewhat trivially available.
Actually not. And that's the main reason why we had to pull down the
Leaderboard (tool that shows bytes of data that has been added by a student on
Wikipedia) as well. The Leaderboard accounted for all the edits that a student
would make either on the talk page or on the article space. Also, if a students
work has been reverted on the article, the leaderborad did not account that.
Ideally the total amount of data that a student has added should exclude amount
of data added on talk pages, should exclude data that is no more existing on
wikipedia and has been reverted. All this data is not easily accessible.

>> How many students edited articles outside of their in-class assignments?
>
> This is an interesting and non-trivial question. Which prompts me to
> ask - why would you want to track this ?
This data point will be very useful to access the prospects of these students
(newbies) becoming long term Wikipedians. If they have edited articles outside
of their in-class assignments that simply shows that editing Wikipedia is
something that they enjoy doing since they are not doing this under pressure or
because they want to get more marks.

Thanks
Nitika