Thanks all for the sharing your thoughts on this. While we have a kind of
consensus to move ahead with the creation, I wish to understand the
concerns of those who think it may not be needed.  I agree we will have a
problem with "too many lists " always.. Once each Indian language community
gets more active and mature, we will need separate mailing lists for the
better co-ordination and micro collaboration.

I would like to clarify.
1) wikimediaindia-l remains the the most important mailing list and primary
platform for the Wikimedia India community to interact each other.
2) This new mailing list is not for replacing on-wiki discussions.

-Tinu Cherian