I thought this is similar to a photowalk, where people instead of meeting in a
room go around and take pics. I stand corrected.

From: srik....@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 11:12:42 +0530
To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikipedia XI 2012

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 10:53,  <wheredevelsd...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Changing the topic since I felt Arnavs idea might be applicable on a national
level. Wikipedia completes 11 years in January 2012 (January 15th if my memory
serves me right). Last year there were 97 meetups nationwide to celebrate
Wikipedia 10. How about having a National Wikimedia Photo Scavenger Hunt in
India to celebrate Wikipedia 11?

Im hoping something like this can tremendously increase photos from India to
Commons.

There were 97 events on paper. I cannot recollect reading more than 10 reports.
Practically we could say the number would have been around 20.Lets leave that
aside.On the scavenger hunt, Tamil community already has one for 3 month long
duration[1], we are also planning for Central Sitenotice for Indian IPs for 3-4
days in January. You could replicate the same, but be sure to add volunteer
support based on the scale, otherwise it cant sustain,will have difficulties
(Hey, didnt you learn that from WikiConference! :D)

Steps required for photo scavenger hunt.
1. Customize Upload Wizard, test it.2. Create help documents, FAQs / videos.
[2][3]3. Create PR using media / social media.

4. Monitor for copyvios, tag them manually post verification.
 -- We are still on process to learn more -- :D
The above activities took us around 30-45 days by a small community.

[1] http://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest[2]
http://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Upload_tutorial_twmc1.ogv

[3] http://tawp.in/r/2rvn
Srikanth.L