Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:14:34 +0530
From: parakara.gh...@gmail.com
To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] On the spot Chapter membership.

I agree with Srikanth.
Some people with vested interests may want to join ...-+-~~~~
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 15:39, Jayanta Nath <jayanta...@gmail.com> wrote:

1) On-spot India Chapter membership for visitors if they wish.
Was : Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Proposal: Wikipedia participation at 'Kolkata Book
Fair 2012'

I think we are going for numbers game here. Whats the point of on-spot
membership? Seriously, does having 50,000 chapter members do any great thing
for Wikipedia? I seriously fail to understand (in the past, future), what can
the chapter do with just so many members who do not have an idea about
Wikipedia community and many of whom may not go beyond attending meetups and
conferences.

Sorry if am sound odd here, I just dont like this part of chapter, where the
chapter instead of instilling confidence in community and making them members,
chooses people who attend a meetup / conference / stall to become its
members.(In many cases makes someone member of chapter without having a clue
about it. I personally know this since my friend who happen to accompany me to
a meetup, just because he had nothing else to spend time is a chapter member
now) I do not mean any offense to any of those who sign up(they may be
genuinely interested, good guys), but just fail to understand what we are
trying to achieve with chapter membership numbers.

Srikanth.L

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on December 10th.