Tinu,
I understand that we need more members to take the movement forward, but we
need to ensure that only genuinely interested people become a part of the
chapter.
Imagine this: Some comapny is unable to promote their product on Wikipedia.
Keeps getting deleted. [Read the mail I sent about Marketing, last week].
One of them joins the chapter, becomes part of the EC after the AGM. What
if he/she now uses that position to promote their comapny?

Think about it.
--~~~~

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 8:08 AM, CherianTinu Abraham
<tinucher...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Srikanths for initiating this useful discussion.
> Yes, we are all aware of the problem. But then again there are no straight
> forward answers & solutions too.
>
> Ironically it is a similar to the "chicken & egg problem". The chapter
> needs the community to grow strong... The community will join the chapter
> only if it is strong".
>
> One of things, we are trying is to expand the chapter leadership & larger
> community participation is by forming special interest groups for languages
> & cities. The SIG chair will form the SIG teams that will help & steer,
> catalyst the development of the particular communities
> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/City_and_Language_SIG_subcommittee_chair Many
> other teams like Finance, Fundraising , Web, PR/Media Relations, Outreach
> are in making and will be rolled out soon.
>
> Bala, Welcome to the chapter !  :) Only if enthusiastic community members
> like you come forward , we can make the chapter a better place.
>
> I also want to use this opportunity to open up discussion ( to all) on
> what should the chapter do.
> 1)  in terms of getting more & more community members
> 2)  having a better relation & participation with the community at large.
> 3) and what the community expects the chapter to do.
>
> I would request to keep this discussion healthy and constructive. ( and
> obviously no personal attacks )
>
> Over to you, dear community...
>
> -TC
>

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Bala Jeyaraman <sodabot...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> +1 for recruiting more Wikipedian members.
>>
>> I am one of those Wikipedians who hasn't become a member of the chapter
>> because i am hesitant to get involved in chapter politics and fear of being
>> forced to follow the agenda set by people who know nothing about Wikipedia
>> (except perhaps talking about it). I am sure there are more wikipedians
>> like me who are just observing what goes on from the sidelines. It is
>> people like us who need to be prodded and dragged to become chapter
>> members.(I will send in my membership application soon).
>>
>> Getting non-wikipedians to sign up and increasing the numbers will
>> eventually lead to an organisation completely out of tune with the
>> Wikimedia movement. Numbers for numbers sake is not the road we should
>> take.  As Srikanth R pointed out, there are a lot of  people who would love
>> to take control. I believe such a thing did happen once before and the
>> chapter was forced to send legal notices to dissuade it.  Recruiting
>> numbers for numbers sake might well lead to such a situation again. And
>> when that happens chapter will become yet another talk only organisation
>> completely irrelevant to what Wikipedia actually is.
>>
>> So lets not put up any barriers for membership but at the same time, lets
>> not advertise chapter membership to completely new people by going on
>> membership drives in outreach events.
>>
>> -
>> Bala

> [...]

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on December 10th.