That is not always true. Even the apparently (for us)  easy pages on
English Wikipedia are too technical for a would-be enthusiatic neo wiki
editor as he/she just steps into editing attempts even after a long
experience of "reading" wikipedia.

I can wow on to this as I have met many such people who would, at first
'dare into editing' often at the forceful prompting of an experienced user,
but soon withdraw.
To them, there seems to be too may syntax formalities and restricting rules
and regulations.

The same people, if continuously and  intensively supported by an
experienced one, crosses the learning curve quite fast and become able to
stand on his own as an independent contributor.

I sincerely think that there is a clear need of preparing and showcasing a
Real Idiot's Guide to early Wikipedia editing. Perhaps, we do not realize
such lack of user-friendliness ourselves as most of us have come away a
long way from that stage.

-Viswam