True that. While Hindi and Tamil have always been at an advantage due
to them being the first two Indic languages to be embraced by the tech
industry, AFAIK, the sms typed on these phones don't conform to
Unicode standards. Atleast not on Nokia models.

On 12/19/11, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand, many vendors do support Indic languages (at least one
> of them like Hindi/Tamil). What we require is to find out the right
> device that supports Indic and suits our needs.
>
> My 2.5 year old dual SIM phone from FLY has Hindi support. Can show
> all the menus in Hindi, can send/receive SMS in Hindi.
>
> My earlier Nokia phone (purchased about 6 years back) also had Hindi
> support.
>
> Some of the low cost printers-inkjet, laser ones also have Indic
> language support in their software as well as manuals.
>
> Regards
> -Sudhanwa
>
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It was a almost a unimaginable surprise when I heard a Samsung camera has
>> Tamil interface! See pic[1]. It is important milestone when Indic is
>> starting to reach beyond computers, mobiles. While this also reinforces
>> the
>> Indic growth theory(not just wikimedia in non-profit space, even for
>> business in for-profit space), it also means more work for those who are
>> working on Indic space (translation, content creation,technology). Their
>> work will directly or indirectly reach more people outside wikimedia
>> projects. Projects like wiktionary will be source for many languages which
>> might not have any other largest source of vocabulary elsewhere. I would
>> not
>> be surprised if in future translations for real world things are done
>> openly
>> through projects like translatewiki :)
>>
>> [1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tamil_interface_camera-suya_prakash-salem_Wiki_DEC2011-Tamil_Nadu626.JPG
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Srikanth.L

> web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in
> Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.

Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on December 10th.