On 19-Dec-2011, at 9:50 PM, ansuman wrote:

> It would be great if we can produce a common standard
> Presentation/Brochure/Leaflet (name it whatever suits) which includes all the
> important point, "Why One should contribute to Wikipedia" from the
> repository.

That's one of the things I'd love to work on. In order to do successful
outreach we need to have supportive documents that can be used and/or given
away during the sessions. These documents need to be well thought and
structured and should be inclusive of various aspects one needs to know about
Wikipedia. In my opinion, a deck of documents that should be readily available
to anyone who wants to do an outreach are:

1. Presentations. These presentation should be in different modules and the
presenter should be able to choose a presentation from the deck depending upon
the nature of the audience, topic of discussion during the session etc.
Basic introduction to Wikipedia
Editing basics
Why contribute to Wikipedia?
Neutral point of view
Notability
Manual of Style
Referencing
Avoiding copyright violations / plagiarism
Introduction to Wikimedia Commons

2. Leaflet/brochure that can be given away to the participants. These leaflets
can also be used in other outreach programs: like exhibitions, trade fairs etc.

3. FAQs that can either be handed over to the participants in the session or
can be mailed to them as a follow up.

We should make sure that each of these documents have just the right amount of
information - too much of information can be confusing and too little
information might not be sufficient for a newbie.

I'm sure we have made some of these documents in the past. We need to update
them and collate them in a common place. I can track down some of the old
documents pertaining to these topics and share it with you all. We can then
collaboratively start working on this deck step-by-step. Please let me know if
this sounds good or if you'd prefer to work on this in any other way?

Nitika