On Dec 19, 2011, at 8:16 PM, Theo10011 wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Ravishankar <ravidre...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is a really useful discussion and there's a powerful idea.  I agree with
Ravi that there is an opportunity to build awareness and traffic to Indic
language sites.  While we are already seeing considerable readership of Indic
languages, there's clearly a lot more that can be done to support this and also
to help build Indic language communities.  I also hear Theo's point that it
didn't work last time, or maybe wasn't adequately measured.

I'd like to suggest that - even as the technical challenges are resolved - to
explore this.  The first step would be finalise what the objectives are (e.g.,
is it basic awareness building of the existence of Indic language projects or
to is it to drive readership of these projects or is it encourage more active
participation in these proejcts?)  The next stage would be to test different
banner/notice/page design options and figure out the most appropriate solution
(in the same systematic way that the WMF fundraising team tests banners and
optimises the ones that work best.)  If you see value and you think we need
resources for this, I'm happy to see what we can do about it.  (Maybe see if
any of the fundraising team's people are free after the fundraiser to help with
the analytics for determining what might work best?)

What say?

hisham