Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 00:41:10 +0530
From: ashwin.bain...@gmail.com
To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
CC: wikimedia-in...@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] [Wikimedia-in-WB] Kolkata Photo Walk (Esplanade
& Dalhousie)

Hi,

First of all many thanks to our Calcutta brethren  for conducting this photo
walk and many thanks for uploading the images to Commons. Such events will
greatly help our country's herittage buildings, architecture, landmarks etc be
preserved.

After trying a quick & dirty look up with the results of your wonderful event,
some points come to mind.

1. NAMING OF IMAGES - . The images with building names included in name are
very useful & easily locatable

eg :
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aayakar_Bhawan_-_Kolkata_2011-12-18_0067.JPG

Images named in the following manner are not at all useful to find the building
concerned

eg : File:Wikimedia_Photowalk_-_Kolkata_2011-12-18_(32).JPG

especially since about 150 of these are so named.

2. CATEGORISATION - Images need to be categorised otherwise the images cannot
be located/used by those who dont know where to look for them.

3. ARTICLE USAGE - Tried to see what has stubs/images on English Wikipedia  -

1. Shahid Minar - No link. [[Shaheed Minar]] of Bangladesh not India
2. Metropolitan Building - [[Metropolitan Building (Minneapolis0]] not Kolkata

3. Tipu Sultan Mosque - [[Tipu Sultan Mosque]], image already available
4. Victoria House - no article
5. Statesman House - no article but an image may be added (when located) to
[[The_Statesman]]

6. Aaykar Bhawan - no stub
7. Great Eastern Hotel - can be added to
[[Places_of_interest_in_Kolkata#Historic_hotels]]
8. Central Telegraph Office - page for CTO Colombo & London but not for Mumbai
& Kolkata

9. National Assurance Building - no building
10. Junior Staff Quarters of the Governor11. Raj Bhawan - can be added to
[[Raj_Bhavan_(West_Bengal)]]

12. St. John's Church - Meerut & Secunderabad pictured for India only
13. General Post Office - can be added to [[General_Post_Office,_Kolkata]]
14. Kolkata Collectorate - no article

15. Writers' Building - [[Writers'_Building]]
16. St. Andrews Chapel - no article

4. STUB IMPROVEMENT - Many buildings have no stubs. These need to be made.
Others need references, geo-code, images, etc.

Hope this feedback is useful in some way.
Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur