I don't think it has to do something with ICS or google has implemented
this. Even before ICS, I have seen this behavior.

Most Samsung Galaxy series running Froyo or Gingerbread support Hindi
display. In these phones Hindi is displayed properly in stock Android
browser but not in Opera Mobile.

*Shrish Benjwal Sharma* *(श्रीश बेंजवाल शर्मा <http://hindi.shrish.in>)*