On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Pradeep Mohandas <
pradeep.mohan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> Commons was blocked in my college too. All it took for me to get it
> unblocked was a 25 min conversation with Head of IT dept. She did the
> needful to unblock Commons. Suggest talking to the college's/cyber
> cafe's network administrator first to unblocking websites.

This is the best way forward, the IT admin of colleges, cafes always have
the option of overriding default filter lists. Students/colleges should be
encouraged to get contact the admins and get commons/wikipedia unblocked
and have free unrestricted access just like the local intranet. it will
encourage using wikipedia as a reference and more students to contribute.

I remember i needed to pay to browse the web at my engg college. i had made
a request to make wikipedia free for access, but back at the time in 2005,
the admins did not take it seriously, times might have changed now.
--
j.mp/ArunGanesh <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>