Hi all,

Though I agree in principle that the inclusion of money in any open-source
movement disrupts the eco-system of volunteers.  However, the small
prize-model for encouraging contributions is benign, with
offers potentially greater benefits.

For example, Wikimedia Indonesia's project
Cipta<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Cipta>generated
thousands of articles and hundreds of thousands of contributions
in local languages of the Indonesia.  The project ran throughout the year
and incentivized editing through a prize-model.  I think it is okay to
distribute small prizes once in a while to get some publicity and to try
and get the attention of potential long-term contributors.  Funds channeled
through volunteers and to support volunteer programs can be effectively
utilized through such programs.  Volunteers are also cash-efficient and
directly responsible to the community.

Yours sincerely,

Anirudh Bhati

+855 975 529 803