On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik....@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 15:14, Pradeep Mohandas <pradeep.mohan...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> Do any other Wikipedia lists have such guidelines which we can 'get
>> inspired' by?
>>

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Guidelines has some related points
> which can be used by us too. Lets be inspiration for others :P . Frankly
> list needing to have guidelines mean that we haven't used it to optimal
> level or there are large influx of newbies on list. (Others might not need
> since they already use optimally / may not have too many newbies like us)

This is a fairly contentious topic. Those guidelines for IRC aren't really
as enforceable, it is usually the ops who decide on case-by-case basis. We
have to conform to certain guidelines because of Freenode as well, the
service provider, mailing lists don't have that.

The guidelines are usually for list moderators. While I won't suggest a
heavy handed approach to this, certain guidelines were formed years ago for
lists, like a monthly soft-limit of 30 posts by a single person. They
really weren't enforced.

I'm all for controlling the traffic on this list Srikanth, but this is not
an easy thing to do with just drafting guidelines.

Regards
Theo