Hi everyone,

I wanted to share with you all few things that I'm currently working on and I'd
love to get your ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions and most importantly
approvals.

Supporting Outreach
I started working on this sometime in December by talking to some community
members and understanding how they have been conducting outreach session, what
they think about outreach, how can we make it more effective etc etc. I got
varied comments with some talking positively about outreach while some thought
that outreach was not  helpful.  Im in the process of collating all comments &
suggestions I got during my conversations with community members and including
them with some of my own views as to how can we make outreach sessions more
effective. This includes building presentations, brochures, FAQs, tips, ideas
on how can we provide the appropriate kind of training on Wikipedia, how can we
make sessions more fun for the participants, how can we follow up with the
participants, how can we measure the effectiveness of  these sessions etc.

The objective is to build a handbook that is inclusive of all ideas and
standardized documents that one could use to conduct outreach session anywhere
in India. We want to facilitate community members efforts wanting to conduct
wiki workshops and motivate others to conduct similar sessions. Initially,
these documents will be in English - but can be translated to Indic languages
subsequently.  I'd want to work closely with the Chapter to conduct WIki
Academies with other community members to conduct these workshops.

Here is the link to the
handbook:http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_-_India_Programs/Outreach_Program_Handbook.
 Ashwin, Naveen, Srikanth L, Srikanth R, Suyog, Pradeep, Subhashish have
contributed to this document by giving me ideas or helping me build
standardized documents. I'd like really like to thank each one of them to help
me work on this handbook and make it what it is today. I'd encourage all of you
to please feel free to edit, expand, improve and suggest.

Testing Outreach
I want to test wether all the ideas such as what kind of pre-work an outreach
needs, repository of documents, follow up ideas, and all the other suggestions
that are collated in this Outreach Handbook are effective or not. The best way
of testing this would be conducting outreach programs following these
suggestions and measuring their effectiveness. I have reached out to several
institutes in Delhi with the idea of conducting Wiki sessions at their
institutes. To name a few: I have written to 9 different department heads at
IIT Delhi including biochemical, management science, civil, chemistry
engineering departments, National Institute of Fashion Technology, St.Stevens
College,  Lady Shir Ram College, Netaji Subhash Institute of Technology etc. I
have already heard positively from some institutes and I'll keep you updated as
and when things become a little clearer.

Even if we're able to conduct 4 of these sessions in Delhi over the next month
it will give us a good testing ground for this Outreach Handbook. The idea is
to measure results of these 4 sessions in terms of no. of total participants,
no. of participants who created usernames, no. of participants who started
editing, keeping in touch with the participants over a period of time and
evaluating no. of participants who continued editing over a period of 3 months
- measure and share this data with you all.

Since the community size is small in Delhi,  I plan to conduct these sessions
with the help of Shiju, Subha and any interested local community members. I
request any other local community members who are interested to let me know if
they can join in these outreach sessions.  (I have already started reaching out
individually to as many as are listed on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:New_Delhi_Wikipedians on their talk pages
to invite them to the planned meet up in Delhi on Jan 15th.

With regards to outside Delhi, I am realising that it does take time and effort
to identify potential places to do outreach - and this is one reason some
community members do not do outreach.  I would love to help out other cities as
well, and I am going to approach  local communities in Mumbai, Bangalore,
Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkatta and  Pune in this regard.

Institutional Partnership
One of the other things I'm currently working on is how to build partnerships
with like-minded organisation.  For this - and with Noopur's help - I am
exploring how to partner  with SPIC MACAY (www.spicmacay.com).  The main
objective of this organisation is to preserve and promote Indian classical
music, dance and cultural heritage. SPIC MACAY is also a volunteer based
organization with chapters spread all over the country and some in other
foreign countries as well. They conduct events where they have prominent Indian
classical artists (vocalists, instrument players, dancers etc) perform, they
conduct heritage walks to old monuments like Galib ka Ghar etc, they have a
resource center where they have a lot of information about Indian artists,
videos/pictures clicked by volunteers, they also have a weekly newsletter etc.
To summarize, they have gold pot of information about Indian classical
musicians, instruments, dancers which can contribute to Wikipedia articles in a
big way and increasing more Indian content. Thanks for all your help on this
one, Noopur.  Fingers crossed!

I see two potential ways of working with them one would be to organize wiki
workshop for their volunteers and they can start contributing to Wiki projects
and become independent contributors. The other could be that they can provide
us with all their resources and Wikipedia volunteers can take over
collaborative editing to write articles on these topics. We're just doing
preliminary discussions with SPIC MACAY as for now. I'm planning to meet with
SPIC MACAY volunteers again sometime soon. Here is the presentation that I'll
be using:
https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/present/edit?id=0AdsrCZ_fInBPZGhueG13OXRfMjI2ZzUyeHd0ZDU.
 Im sharing this presentation so that you can give me your feedback on this as
well as if you'd like to use/reuse it to reach out to similar institutes in
your cities.

Wikipedia 11 Years Celebrations
We are organizing a Wikimedia Commons workshop for a photography club named
Tassavurrati in Delhi on the day of Wiki 11th Anniversary. The  club members
travel through the length and breadth of India and are very passionate to
contribute to Wiki projects. The idea is to brief all the participants about
Wikimedia Commons, how to upload pictures and a bit about licensing. Noopur is
also helping us organise this session. And maybe as a follow up we can conduct
Wikipedia takes Delhi with these set of participants. Post this session we've
organised a meet up in Delhi where these club members are also invited to join
us. Here is a link to the event:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Commons_Workshop_Tassavurrati

I would love to know what you think of all the above work. It's really
essential for me to hear each one of your opinions to make sure that Im serving
you all in the most effective and useful manner.

Waiting for your comments and inputs.  :-)

Thanks
Nitika