A big +1 to everything Srikanth mentioned.

From: srik....@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:56:14 +0530
To: wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2013 -
Announcement of Jury and invitation to bid

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 13:39, Noopur <noopur.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

+1 to Pranav's comment on lack of a local team. The main problem as I see in
India will be the distance and hence someone in Delhi can't really be of much
help to someone in Bombay.

While local team is one thing. There were still lot of things that people could
have done sitting elsewhere. Beria did some amazing work with keeping up the
portal and posting messages, she was not even in India. There were many others
from many cities and few countries who made this conference happen, in the
sense it was not just "Mumbai community" but some "location agnostic wikipedian
community" that pulled the event off together. The problem with WCI was both
lack of local as well as online volunteers and it was not like people weren't
there. They were very much happy in giving advice on the list(the archives can
speak for itself). So when the emphasis on "Strong local team" was made by
Pranav, it must be read as having a large enough community of "Do-ers" than
"talkers" for the scale of event. I strongly don't foresee the next edition of
WCI happening in 2012, leave alone Wikimania 2013.

Srikanth.L