Hi,

A Wiki workshop/academy was conducted at SSN College of Engineering,
Chennai on 11 January. It was organised by SSN opensource enthusiasts under
the aegis of the SSN Tamil Club. Me, Srikanth Lakshmanan and Arunmozhi from
the Tamizha FOSS group. [1] 60 students attended the academy.

The academy began at 9 in the morning with a presentation of open web and
open source from SSN opensource enthusiasts. I followed it up with a intro
section on wikipedia and a hands on editing session for about an hour. I
covered the basics of wikipedia, notability standards, five pillars,
copyright issues. I also covered basics of Wiktionary and Commons.  Next
Srikanth took a session on technology behind wikipedia and how the students
could contribute technically to Wiki projects. We broke for lunch at 12 and
reconvened an hour later.

The afternoon session began with a audio recording exercise, where songs of
the Tamil poet Subramania Bharathi  were sung and uploaded to commons.[2]
This served as a hands on exercise to identify the common copyright
problems and which material can be added to Wiki projects without copyright
issues. Public domain, nationalisation, copyright term expiry, threshold of
originality, open source file formats etc were discussed. Next Arunmozhi (
a student of a College of Engineering Guindy and a developer of Tamil open
source software) took a session on the initiatives of the Tamizha group.
After that we went on a photo walk of the SSN campus. We split into two
groups and walked around the SSN campus taking pictures. The images were
uploaded to Commons. [3]. This served as an oppurtunity to explain
copyright issues like freedom of panorama and derivative works. The academy
ended with a vote of thanks from the Tamil Club convener.

Over all it was a highly successful exercise (IMO) and a lot of productive
work was done. The attendees were highly motivated and asked a lot of
pertinent questions which lead to some interesting discussions. They also
gave a few interesting suggestions about improving the usability of Wiki
pages from newbie perspective (Srikanth has already started work on
implementing one of the suggestions).

I would like to thank the organising team (Dwaraka, Harvesh, Jason and
others) for doing an excellent job in organising the event , SSN Tamil
Mandram for its patronage and Wikimedia India Chapter for its help with
swag and printed material (though the quantity was nowhere sufficient :-).
Please ramp up the operation guys).

==Links==
[1]http://thamizha.com/
[2]http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Tamil_audio_songs