+1 with Logic and I don't think India needs to host an international event,
a more structured community building exercise from foundation, chapter,
existing Wikipedians is going on and it will take some time for a proper
community. Putting a bid and conducting an event physically are things of 2
different spheres. No matter how well programs were arranged, there were
basic issues including Wi-Fi/Food and lot more and we can't blame the OC.
Their voluntary effort is to be appreciated and communication/logistics
problems all happened because of lack of participation. A small group of
volunteers did well, but, the similar things/worse things are going to
happen when majority of the delegates will be from all different countries.

-1 withthe bid!

On 24 January 2012 12:40, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:18, Noopur <noopur.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> the organizing bit is outsourced to experienced event managers
>

> Not in totality. What can be outsourced are things like food / hotels /
> logistics etc.
>
> Its *WIKIPEDIANS* who have to do a whole lot of things from scholarships
> to programs to PR to finances to editing wiki pages(If you see wikimania's
> have a wiki for itself) to a whole lot of things which cannot be
> outsourced. WCI showed us how we were incredibly short of hands in each of
> these things. For the sake of calling it community conference, things
> *have* to be done by the *community*. If we dont feel like we have the
> community, we must be content with what we do and not aim at events which
> are way out of reach.
>
> -1 for any wikimania bid from India till 2014.
>
> --
> Regards
> Srikanth.L

> Best