Failure to make the system work efficiently is also a learning exercise.
Given that we are hoping to make such events happen more frequently and at
many historically important places across the country, we must work to see
that wikimedians are enabled to upload images meaningfully, ie with proper
descriptions, as smoothly as possible. It is unlikely that everyone will
have access to decent facilities for mass uploading the next time.

Ideally, the availability of offline tools for collating and annotating
images is needed, so that the tagged pictures can be kept ready in a folder
for uploading. Then it won't matter if only a single PC can be used for the
actual uploading, as different wikimedians can collate thier pictures
individually, and transfer the folder files severally to the designated
uploader PC for completion. This is important for such group activities,
which may not have been a need when the original upload tool was designed
and the rules for uploading set (which were probably designed to control
spam and other anti-social uploaders, also an important need). This is
analogous to the problems found while running newbie wikiacademies earlier.

I suggest one or two of the Photowalk people, who worked at understanding
and solving the problem found yesterday, interact with more geek
wikimedians who can identify and describe this need as a bug for the
community to solve, or to solve it directly.

Vickram
Fool On The Hill <http://communicall.wordpress.com>