Do keep in mind that BSNL is a government-backed entity. It's parent
ministry is the one which proposed screening of content.

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Anirudh Bhati <anirudh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is likely a temporary issue, and I suspect that the security
> of the BSNL servers may have been compromised.  Yann is of the same
> opinion.  If the issue persists for a longer-term, then we can pursue it
> with the ISP.
>
> anirudh
>
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Srikanth Lakshmanan
> <srik....@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yannf posted this on IRC (#wikimedia-in) when I was away,
>>
>> ======
>>  in my new DSL connection with BSNL, *.wikipedia.org is blocked
>> any idea?
>> I get a page of advertising about web hosting
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org works
>> ======
>>
>> My guess is BSNL DNS is playing some game here (IIRC they have local DNS
>> for each telecom circle). As for the geekish users, they would know to use
>> opendns, ways to access *.wikipedia.org etc. But this needs to be looked
>> at seriously. This is not the first time am hearing something like this on
>> BSNL DNS. If we identify the problem, can the chapter / programs do
>> necessary running around for the issue and ensure this doesn't exist?
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Srikanth.L

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG