I agree with you completely. While I've never been dragged to a Police
station, the Coimbatore Police made me delete ALL my photos on the camera,
and the Bangalore Police took away my memory card.
Do we need to send across a letter or something across to the Police?

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 2:40 AM, <wheredevelsd...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I thought Id bring up something thats been at the back of my mind for the
> last few days. With offline activities increasing in the last couple of
> months, it is a good sign for the project overall in India. However, we
> sometimes tend to unintentionally ruffle a few feathers (or people wanting
> to take advantage of the situation pretend that we have). This got me
> thinking of what sort of backup we Wikipedians can expect if they get into
> trouble whiles taking part in volunteer activities? I dont mean getting
> caught doing something illegal, I mean any trouble whiles taking part in or
> organising routine activities. I dont mean to scare people, this is
> something that is the result of recent happenings. In Mumbai, Wikipedians
> have had to visit the Police Station twice in the last 3 months.
>
> First time we had a battery of people including Chapter Secretary Naveen
> Francis, WMF Deputy Director Erik Moeller (who literally got off a flight
> and walked into the cop station), our Legal brain Gautam John, WMF Trustee
> Bishakha Dutta and WMF Advisor Achal Prabhala among others go down to the
> police station as a political party threatened to stage a protest at our
> event in November 2011.
>
> Last month, we had another visit to the police station during the
> photowalk because a corporate house was paranoid when we took photographs
> of their headquarters. Hisham, Gautam and Achal were all unavailable,
> thankfully Bishakha was and she was able to get a legal opinion from some
> lawyer friends that what we were doing was totally legal as it was not a
> prohibited area. We cannot expect to fall back on such people all the time,
> after all they are here as volunteers as well (well, except for Erik and
> Hisham).
>
> Reiterating, that though we were on the right side of the law, we were
> dragged to the police. I am worried what the case would be if a formal
> complaint or a case is filed against a Wikipedian (though Im hoping this
> will never happen) to trouble or scare him, what assurance does he have
> from the organisation? As most Wikipedians are doing volunteer-work in
> their spare time, I think its highly important that there is some sort of
> assurance that they will not be left to fend for themselves if something
> unforeseen leaves them personally in a spot of bother. Could someone from
> India Programs or WM-IN please advice the community of what sort of back-up
> and legal support/insurance the community can expect in the event of such
> eventualities?
>
> Kind Regards,

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG