Just a question.
The 'study' mentioned at the bottom of the page. Was it the one done by
Oliver Keyes of the foundation?

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Tinu Cherian (Wikimedia India) <
tinucher...@wikimedia.in> wrote:

>  *First Post : Good News: Indians most willing to donate to Wikipedia*
>
> http://www.firstpost.com/tech/good-news-indians-most-willing-to-donate-to-wikipedia-204429.html
>
> *Wikipedia recently concluded its annual fundraiser, which was quite
> successful with the online encyclopedia collecting nearly $20mn dollars
> which will be used for the daily operations of the site. Jimmy Wales,
> founder of the site had appealed passionately to all users to donate to
> help keep the site free from advertisement. More recently the Wikipedia
> blackout to protest SOPA/PIPA was seen as a strong anti-censorship stand
> taken by the website, for which it was widely supported by readers and
> users alike. (We chronicled how readers/users of the web survived that day!)
>
> Post the donation drive, Wikipedia has just published results from a
> readers survey as a way of understanding the major donors to the site. Some
> of the facts that come out from the survey are rather surprising.
>
> For once Indians are number ONE, when it comes to a desire to donate to
> Wikipedia. According to the survey 42 percent of Wiki readers from India
> were ready to donate, followed by Egypt and US where nearly 33 percent
> users were keen to donate. The survey also noted that users from Germany,
> France and Japan were less prone to making a donation.
>
> However a constant a problem that many users said prevented them from
> donating was the lack of affordability. Ayush Khanna, Data Analyst, Global
> Development at the Wikimedia foundation wrote in a detailed blogpost that
>
>     The high value of the dollar may also have an effect, with 68 percent
> of Japanese readers and 57 percent of Indian readers citing affordability
> as a reason. However, about 60 percent of UK readers also cite this reason.
>
> While dollar rates could be a possible issue for not donating, Indian
> users who don’t possess a credit card were probably stumped on how to go
> about donating to the website.
>

> But perhaps the biggest shocker is that nearly half of Wikipedia users are
> not aware that it’s a non-profit  organisation.  The number is quite high
> with 47 percent of readers being blissfully unaware of this crucial fact.
> Being non-profit has helped Wikipedia remained ad-free since it began 2001.
> Russia (64 percent), Brazil (56 percent) and the United States (56 percent)
> were countries where this lack of knowledge was woefully high. The fact the
> US figures on this list too is quite interesting, since the US also had a
> sufficient majority of readers who were willing to donate to the site.
>
> What was even more bizarre, according to the survey numbers, was that
> nearly 28 percent of its users who had edited pages on Wikipedia were
> unaware that it was a non-profit organisation.
>
> Wikipedia has been putting out quite some information from this survey for
> nearly a month now on the Wikimedia global blog. Other key facts are that
> [...]

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG