The chapter can officially decide it only after a discussion within Board ,
SIG leadership and the members.

But on a personal level, I agree with Anirudh's view on this.
Since it brings strong accountability for the chapter on the use of the ID
by the recipients , this has to be done with caution and utmost care.
May be we can set up an empowered committee to review such requests and
grant them.  ( just a suggestion)
Nevertheless, IMHO, such id cards should be issued to "only trusted
Wikimedians" with a substantial amount of history with our projects and
mission.

Regards
Tinu Cherian