On 02/20/2012 07:00 AM, wikimediaindia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:23:08 +0530
> From: Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik....@gmail.com>
> To: Wikimedia India Community list
>       <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] [Press] : The Hindu : "The struggles
>       of keeping Kannada Wikipedia afloat"
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:43, sankarshan <foss.mailingli...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> > I guess what I am asking is whether all the issues that the various
>> > language communities in India face have been recorded on the bugzilla
>> > and, there is a page somewhere which allows anyone interested to track
>> > them.
>> >
> If you are asking only about technical issues, many communities do log bugs
> from time to time. But when they remain open beyond certain period and the
> person who logged becomes inactive, they go into black hole and there is no
> one to follow up(even if its fixed, they remain open).

Srikanth, this is distressing to hear!  If you could point to some
specific Bugzilla reports that have gone into the "black hole",
including ones that no longer reflect reality, I could help ask the
localisation team to follow up and at least put some updated information
in the issues at bugzilla.wikimedia.org .

> But the larger
> issues are common and pretty much known to i18n team. (like say PDF
> rendering). I tried cleaning up Tamil related bugs recently which were
> documented here[1] since 2006, also created a tracking bug[2].
>
> But then as someone else said, "People are just waiting for one more
> tracking bug to fix those. !" //So tracking bugs don't help beyond a point !

This is also distressing to hear!  I'm not quite sure what was implied
there -- did the speaker mean that the localisation team won't address
certain problems until there are more tracking bugs to help track
issues, or something else?

> Most, if not all Indic issues would be tagged with i18n keyword on bugzilla.
>
> [1] http://tawp.in/r/3hl
> [2] https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/32578
>
> -- Regards Srikanth.L

Yes, adding the i18n keyword to an issue in Bugzilla will help bring it
to the attention of the localisation team.

Thanks for mentioning this problem, Srikanth.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator