>From the mail Hisham sent out a looong time ago, it seemed like an
independent entity.
Besides, do Indian laws permit for either a society or a trust to be a
subsidiary of another organisation?
I don't think so, but I leave it for The lawyer [Anirudh/ Gautam] to
respond.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Theo10011 <de10...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <tinucher...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> You are a long time community member, you were working as Wikimedia
>> Foundation paid contractor for some time, does that mean all the volunteer
>> work you would have done before/after or during being a full time and paid
>> staff of Foundation cease to have any value ?
>>

> Err... I have no idea who or what implied that. I don't think anyone said
> anything to that effect so far. Just said volunteer and staff work is
> separate, not that it goes away or one negates the other. I completely
> agreed with Ashwin on the need for better demarcation.
>
> Here's some example-
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Theo_(WMF)   - my old contractor
> account- read the disclaimer
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User%3ATheo10011&diff=2165185&oldid=2156716
> - my volunteer account at the time- read the disclaimer/announcement
>
> Shijus's staff account -http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Shiju  and
> volunteer account -  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Shijualex
> Subha's staff account http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Subha_WMF  and
> volunteer accoun t-  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Psubhashish
>
> They all have disclaimers, and explanation that this work is separate from
> staff work. It's a pretty clean and simple staff policy, that I have
> discussed with Philippe in the past.
>
> This might be harder to do in offline work, but there should be some
> attempt at demarcation like on-wiki. Their volunteer work and standing will
> never go away, no one remotely suggested that. Just that, like on-wiki,
> there should be better communication about which is which, nothing more.
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
> parakara.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Errm Theo,
>> Do remember that the India TRUST is DIFFERENT form the Chapter. It is
>> from the WMF side and has absolutely NO relation with the Chapter.
>

> lol I know Srikanth. My question was about its current legal status. Is it
> independent? different or same as the chapter?
>
> Regards
> Theo

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG