Dear Wikipedians,

        This is my
first mail to this list and I am from the Assamese Wikipedia Community, so 
please excuse me if made a mistake. My user name is jpnath008.


        Reading this
discussion I just feel the need to inform you about the growing development of
Assamese Wikipedia. The last year and the current year can be considered as
mile stones in the growth of As Wiki. At the end of the last year about 4 to 6
active editor join to the community and the result is <900 articles. The two
wikimeetups held at Guwahati and Tezpur university respectively able to attract
more than 10 people to the community. 


        The Guwahati
meetup is the first Assamese Wikipedia meetup. I faced many problems to find a 
suitable
place to arrange the meetup, because from the beginning I decided to make this
meeting like an workshop more than a meet. I contacted Guwahati university’s
concerned persons with this proposal but they were asking me about a formal
letter from the authority (for them it is Wikipedia authority). At the very
moment Mr. Shiju Alex come to help me and he contacted directly with the IT
department of the university. He made it so easy for me to arrange such a good
hall with projector and internet connection in free of coast. I specially 
targeted
the media people and the university students with some new interested people
were present at that meet. Therefore the need of a projector was must. There are
now 3 active administrators working very hardly and 18 editors including the
administrators in As Wiki. 


        Presently one
of the active member, Anjal Bora wrote an article on a famous Assamese magazine
“PRANTIK” about the Assamese Wiki, and now he is getting calls and emails from 
various
persons who are willing to contribute to As Wiki. I wrote an article for an
online e-magazine, for a news paper and a letter in answering the Anjal Bora’s
article and all this are waiting for publishing. We are expecting more active
people to join the community after this. I have some more plans to attract
Assamese people to join to the As Wiki. 
 
Regards
JyotiPrakash Nath
SSL-Guwahati
+919864917706



>________________________________
> From: Shiju Alex <shijualexonl...@gmail.com>
>To: Wikimedia India Community list <wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org> 
>Sent: Wednesday, 7 March 2012 2:47 PM
>Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] India Program: Community Monthly Report: Feb 
>2012
> 
>
>I am replying to this mail as a Malayalam wikimedia community member.
>
>
>
>Fact:  Subhashish, former volunteer, and now paid consultant with India 
>Programs.
>>
>What do you mean by this? I Shiju Alex is a Indic language wikipedian now 
>close to 6 years. According to Mr. Anirudh (an EC member of India chapter) I 
>am a former 
volunteer. is this is the official position of wikimedia India chapter? As a 
community member I require an explanation for this. 
>
>
>Shiju Alex
>
>(An Indic language wikipedian)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Anirudh Bhati <anirudh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Hisham <his...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>
>>>Nothing is conducted solely by India Program - and hence I said "supported." 
>>> Everything is conducted by the community - sometimes under the aegis of the 
>>>Chapter and sometimes independently.  The support that we have provided 
>>>varies - from getting the actual event fixed up to providing presentation 
>>>material to interested community members to participating in these events.  
>>
>>
>>Can this be clearly specified in the report?  That is more helpful than 
>>simply "supported".  For instance, when you say "Supported the community to 
>>get a venue in Guwahati University", it would help us understand more if you 
>>could tell us how.
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM, CherianTinu 
>>Abraham <tinucher...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>Hi Pranav, 
>>>In India, it is extremely difficult to hairline separate who has done which 
>>>event. - Chapter, Community and WMF India Programs. 
>>>
>>
>>
>>I agree it's not possible to do that, but it is entirely possible to list out 
>>the work done in specific.  This enhances our accountability and transparency 
>>towards the community.
>> 
>>Let us take the case of the Trichy event, the request came to a community 
>>member Rsrikanth to the chapter. Nitika was actively involved along with me 
>>and Naveen. The chapter signed the MoU and supplied some goodies. Nitika was 
>>actively involved in coaching Sohan, a chapter member and Rsrikanth.  One 
>>must not also forget that both Hisham & Nitika are also chapter members. 
>>
>>
>>Fact: Nitika is a paid employee of the WMF India Programs and is not a 
>>chapter/community volunteer.
>> 
>>
>>>Another event in Chennai (Jaya eng college) , where Subha led, his travel 
>>>expenses was reimbursed by the Chapter, Subha is a Chapter SIG Chair .. The 
>>>event is supported by Hisham & Nitika too. Subha is also an India Programs 
>>>executive. 
>>>
>>
>>
>>Fact:  Subhashish, former volunteer, and now paid consultant with India 
>>Programs.
>> 
>>
>>>I actively organize Bangalore Meetups and support several others .. Should I 
>>>be worrying whether I am doing as a chapter member, board member or a 
>>>community member? 
>>>
>>
>>
>>By a matter of principle, chapter and community volunteers are just... 
>>volunteers.  Paid consultants are hired to executive specific programs, and 
>>hence the results of their work and reports should be presented with clarity. 
>> Simply "supporting" something does not clarify the extent of their 
>>involvement.
>> 
>>As with Assam meetup recently, coordinated by Shiju, some of the expenses 
>>were met from a personal grant from the Foundation to me & Shiju.  
>>>
>>>There was a recent Malayalam Wiki Academy in Bangalore organised by 
>>>Malayalam Community. Some of them are also Chapter members. People like me 
>>>and Naveen actively helped the event ..Are we doing as chapter board member 
>>>or community member? We don't really know.. But we are just genuinely 
>>>helping the movement, with worrying about what capacity we are doing it. 
>>>
>>
>>
>>I don't think it's a good idea to separate the chapter and the community.  
>>The chapter is a membership-based organization and by definition an umbrella 
>>organization which represents the community.  There is no reason for 
>>differentiation as long as it is volunteer work done by a chapter member.
>> 
>>
>>>The various academies that we do, some of the requests comes directly to the 
>>>chapter, community or India programs, but each supporting each other in 
>>>different capacities.  
>>>
>>>Now Noopur is a GLAM Champion, Chapter member and Delhi SIG Chair and also 
>>>part of Chapter Communications Team. She now also heads the Communication & 
>>>PR for the India Programs. 
>>>
>>>As I explained, it is difficult to separate the contributions of different 
>>>entities or individuals for the Wikimedia  movement in India. 
>>>
>>>IMHO, we should be only concerned about the outcomes of the event and not 
>>>who gets the credit.  
>>>
>>
>>
>>Even though the possibility of interfacing each other is high for different 
>>entities and groups of volunteers working in India, there is a need for 
>>differentiation and it is a question which cannot be avoided.  The volunteers 
>>who work on their pet-projects while not being associated with any of the 
>>entities are not expected to be as accountable as (i) the chapter which 
>>receives or may receive grants from the Wikimedia Foundation and donations 
>>from individuals and organizations in the country AND (ii) the WMF India 
>>Programs which is run by multiple paid consultants.
>>
>>
>>So I don't see why we shouldn't care about differentiation, or why it may be 
>>an undesirable thing to want to differentiate.  Ultimately we all want 
>>results, yes, but we also need to understand causality because there are 
>>significant amount of funds involved.  We need to differentiate because there 
>>are different degrees of accountability involved both with the chapter, the 
>>WMF India Programs and the volunteer who works with a grant.
>>
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>>>Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>>>To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit 
>>>https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>>
>>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>>Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>>To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit 
>>https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>>
>>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
>Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit 
>https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
Wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit 
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

Reply via email to